Parsing Windows .lnk file in elisp

From: Barman Brakjoller
Subject: Parsing Windows .lnk file in elisp
Date: 3 Jul 2003 07:20:33 -0700

Those of you who read emacswiki knows that I (yes, I am not really
Barman Brakjoller) have added a wish for eshell. I want it to grok
windows .lnk (shortcut) files when changing directory.

Well, I found the format, unofficial of course, reverse-engineered on
the internet and am planning to try adding parsing of these .lnk file
in emacs lisp.

Anyway, how does one do these things in emacs? I tried to find some
low-level functions like read and seek in the emacs lisp reference but
I found none? Did I look to shallow into the manual or how do you do
these kind of things in emacs, parsing binary file formats.

I should note that I am a total newbie when it comes to parsing binary
files, so I need some pointers.

/Mathias