Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX
Date: 03 Jul 2003 23:07:06 +0200

"D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:

> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:32:50 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> >> Running `LaTeX Interactive' on `Thesis' with ``latex Thesis.tex''
> >>
> >> LaTeX Interactive exited abnormally with code 127 at Thu Jul  3
> >> 21:57:12
> >
> > Sounds like `latex' is not in your PATH.
>
> Sorry - I missed out a crucial piece of information (my fault). If I open
> a terminal and cd to the directory containing Thesis.tex, and then run
>
> latex Thesis.tex
>
> in the terminal it runs fine and without error.
>
> What is error code 127 - is it a (la)tex error code or an AucTex one?

An OS error.  If the above is the complete log, LaTeX does not even
get started.  What happens if you type
M-x shell RET
latex RET
from within Emacs?  What do you get if you type
M-! latex RET
from within Emacs?

Note that the shell used for TeX commands is configured in the
variable TeX-shell and defaults to /bin/sh.