Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:36:04 +0100

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:07:06 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> "D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:
>> What is error code 127 - is it a (la)tex error code or an AucTex one?
>
> An OS error.

Ah.

> If the above is the complete log, LaTeX does not even
> get started.

Yes, the output I sent you was the total output.

> What happens if you type
> M-x shell RET

A shell window starts up just fine.

> latex RET

Actually, what I did was whilst the Thesis.tex buffer was the focused
window I did M-x shell so that the shell started in the directory
containing Thesis.tex and then I did latex Thesis.tex:

[pc-62-31-76-10-ed:~/Documents/THESIS/New Thesis] jelena% latex THESIS.tex
latex: Command not found.

> from within Emacs?  What do you get if you type
> M-! latex RET
> from within Emacs?

Again, I did M-! latex Thesis.tex, and got:

latex: Command not found

in the Minibuffer.

> Note that the shell used for TeX commands is configured in the
> variable TeX-shell and defaults to /bin/sh.

Now I'm a bit puzzled. The commands not working from within AucTeX was
something I assumed was wrong with tex-site.el. But the fact that latex
isn't found in Emacs from either M-! or M-x shell whilst there are no
problems in OS X's terminal is puzzling me. Emacs doesn't maintain it's
own $PATH variable does it? I thought it just picked it up from whatever
your login shell was. Although as this stuff just works on Linux, and I am
very unused to BSD in general and OS X in particular I don't suppose that
what I think is very significant!

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com