Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:57:00 +0100

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:17:15 -0400, Masashi Ito wrote:

> The problem reminded me of something I experienced with ispell. First of
> all, is the Emacs in question the Carbon version or the X-Window
> version?

It's the carbon version.

> If the former, how did you launch Emacs, by clicking on the application
> icon in the Finder, or from the Terminal?

The former.

> If the former is the case, Emacs
> says ispell is not found (my copy of ispell was downloaded through fink)
> when the spellchecking function is invoked. And I found other people
> reported on the Internet the same problem with ispell. The solution
> which I confirmed worked was to launch Emacs from Terminal either by:
> (1) create a shell script containing (as suggested by Andrew Choi at
> http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/FAQ.txt): #!/bin/sh
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs "$@"
>
> (this assumes of course Emacs is in the /Applications folder)
>
> or
> (2) use the open command (as suggested by someone on the Internet; I
> don't remember his name...)
> I personally did this:
> alias emc '/usr/bin/open -a /Applications/Emacs.app'
>
> (if you omit the '/usr/bin/' part, you may get 'Bus error')
>
> After all, it seems that Carbon Emacs does not get $PATH correctly if it
> is launched from the Finder. So, I wondered it might be the cause of
> your problem, too. Hope this works.

Thank you very much. That sounds very much like you've hit the nail on the
head. As I explained, it's not my iBook - I'm setting this up for a friend
- so I can't test this right now, but as later today we're having another
go this will be the first thing I try.

Thanks again, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com