Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AucTeX problems on Mac OSX
Date: 04 Jul 2003 12:37:03 +0200

"D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:21:46 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > AFAIR, you set her up with a developer version of Emacs-21.  I am
> > not too sure whether the Carbon version is up to snuff with regard
> > to image support and its ilk, stuff that would be necessary to
> > run, say, preview-latex
> > <URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net>.
>
> Sadly, that is true. For the time being setting her up with just an
> Aqua-fied/Carbon/whatever-its-called Emacs and AucTeX should suffice
> (it's what everyone in her department uses, only on Linux or
> Solaris, so she can get plenty of help with tweaking once it's
> working).

If everybody else is running an X version of Emacs, is there a
particular reason that you don't install an X version of Emacs for
her?  I mean, it was one of the points of OS X to make that possible,
wasn't it?

> Of course, as the developer version of Emacs improves I will suggest
> that preview-latex gets installed to. (BTW, I recently introduced a
> friend of mine whose doing a PhD on string theory in the Maths
> Department here at Edinburgh to AucTeX and preview-latex and he was
> amazed. Apparently neither he nor anyone else in his group knew of
> either of them! Now people come into his office just to see this
> amazing LaTeX authoring environment he has!)

Pity if those people have to come into his office to see his
environment instead of having it on their own computer.

Well, mathematicians should find it neat, indeed.  Made my father
(theoretical physicist) switch from Windows/Winedt/MikTeX to
Linux/Emacs/teTeX.  Yes, I know, you'd be able to work this under
Windows in some manner or other, too, but this way I can, if things
come to worst, just ssh to his machine and find out what's wrong.