Re: Samba in Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Samba in Emacs?
Date: 06 Jul 2003 13:35:54 -0400

> I'm not so sure that's a bug. At least the documentation of
> substitute-in-file-name doesn't mention that it can be called only once.

Well, nothing prevents you from calling it as you please.  The documentation
only describes what the function does, which includes expansion of envvars,
and treatment of // and /~.  If you want to expand envvar refs in envvar
values, then you probably want to call it more than once, but otherwise,
you probably don't.  Seems pretty obvious  to me.

> If a bug, then it is rather a design bug I guess. Maybe emacs-devel is
> better suited for discussions this case.

Maybe some part of the doc lead you to think that it does something else
than what it really does do, but I think the design is reasonably sound.

        Stefan