Re: fonts in emacs under OS X

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: fonts in emacs under OS X
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:27:50 -0600

James Hughes wrote:

I'm having problems understanding fonts under OS X. Mostly, I just don't
know what the hell I'm doing. I don't really understand the X11 naming
convention for fonts.

All of the docs say use this format:
-maker-family-weight-slant-widthtype-style-pixels-height-horiz-vert-spacing-
width-charset

But, then as an example they use:
-*-Monaco-*-100-*
or
-apple-monaco-*-9-*-mac-roman

which works... but doesn't follow the above format. I'm sure there's some
kind of shortcut notation going on here if someone could please explain?

Right.  I prefer to specify each "-" so that I'm sure I know which parts I'm
specifying and which I'm wild-carding.

But you can think of the fully specified font names as file names, and the font
spec as a shell file name (globbing) pattern.  Then a single "*" can match any
substring of the fully specified name, including multiple parts with their "-"
"-" separators.

--
Kevin Rodgers