Re: cvs emacs build fails on Windows XP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cvs emacs build fails on Windows XP
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:52:41 +0200

> From: bart.oldeman@bristol.ac.uk (Bart Oldeman)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 1 Jul 2003 04:00:17 -0700
> >
> > And what would this do to Widnows *.bat batch files, that are already
> > in CR/LF format, and should stay that way (or else some versions of
> > Windows shells will refuse to run them), including in the repository?
>
> no, they should have LF endings in the repository. Play with $Log RCS
> keywords and you see what I mean. Or make them "binary" using "cvs
> admin -kb" but that's strange.
>
> You check batch files out on Windows, LF is converted to CRLF, all
> is fine.
>
> You check batch files out on Unix, LF stays LF, and all is fine

No, it isn't: suppose you then prepare a tarball of the distribution,
and that tarball needs to be built on Windows using those batch files.
(This is an actual problem with Emacs, for example.)

> It just happens to be the case that most DOS and Windows compilers
> (but Turbo C 2.01 is an exception for instance) accept C files
> with LF line endings

Yes, but edit them with a Windows editor (other than Emacs), and
chances are you will have CR-LF pairs or even mixed LF and CR-LF
lines.  It's a mess.