Re: Emacs FTP and BlackIce problems?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Emacs FTP and BlackIce problems?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:20:17 +0200

"Siegfried Heintze" <sieg_heintze@yahoo.com> writes:

> My client's web hosting service uses a fire wall called black ice. I used
> emacs/ange/ftp extensively to edit files on live site but I constantly get
> black listed with black ice and I need to use DHCP to get a new IP address
> from my ISP.
>
> I an only suspect that emacs/ange/ftp is the culprit because that is pretty
> much all I use.

Really weird.  Ange-FTP invokes the command-line program ftp to do
its thing, and then Ange-FTP operates that program pretty much like a
human would do.

How quickly does it happen for you to become blacklisted?  Is it
sufficient to just edit a file?

One wild guess might be that you use filename completion a lot which
might produce usage patterns in the ftp client that people normally
would not use.  Maybe you could try to use dired a lot and avoid
filename completion.  That would produce different usage patterns that
might avoid triggering the black ice rules.

If it triggers even by just using C-x C-f with a complete filename
(without invoking filename completion), then you might try to use the
same command-line client yourself.  Then you don't have to tell the
firewall master about Ange-FTP.  Instead, you just tell them that you
invoke ftp and issue the commands foo, bar, baz and then black ice
blacklists you.
--
~/.signature