Re: mark without starting region

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: mark without starting region
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:18:10 GMT

In article <3F1EDBC7.5030708@cornell.edu>,
Shaddin Doghmi  <sfd22@cornell.edu> wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>>In article <3F1ECE9C.9010505@cornell.edu>,
>>Shaddin Doghmi  <sfd22@cornell.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>i use marks for two different purposes at different times: starting a
>>>region, as well as pushing a position on the stack so i can come back to
>>>it later. When starting a region, i like having transient mark mode on
>>>so i can see the region highlighted. However, this becomes an annoyance
>>>when im using the mark for simply remembering a position.
>>>

>>There's a push-mark command that sets the mark but doesn't turn on the
>>region.
>>
>I have gnu emacs 21.2.1, and i dont seem to have that command.... any
>idea where i get it from?

I have 20.7, and the documentation says:

 push-mark is a compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
 (push-mark &optional LOCATION NOMSG ACTIVATE)

 Set mark at LOCATION (point, by default) and push old mark on mark ring.
 If the last global mark pushed was not in the current buffer,
 also push LOCATION on the global mark ring.
 Display `Mark set' unless the optional second arg NOMSG is non-nil.
 In Transient Mark mode, activate mark if optional third arg ACTIVATE non-nil.

 Novice Emacs Lisp programmers often try to use the mark for the wrong
 purposes.  See the documentation of `set-mark' for more information.

 In Transient Mark mode, this does not activate the mark.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA