Re: Where can I find websites to know how to use Emacs to send and recie

From: Subhankar Chatterjee
Subject: Re: Where can I find websites to know how to use Emacs to send and recieve emails?
Date: 26 Jul 2003 03:17:39 +0530

Hello,

takashi <twakeshi@telus.net> writes:
>    Hi,I am interested in sending Email, using Emacs. I have not been
>   able to find a website that explains how to send and read emails, and
>   how to create an address book for Emacs. Could you give me any
>   suggestions on that?
[...]

There are many email programs available for Emacs. Rmail is the default mail
program in GNU Emacs. Also there is Gnus (which I use), a mail and newsreader
combined. Gnus is somewhat different from others in the sense that it treats
mail as news! But that doesn't stop it from being the most powerful and most
flexible, once you get used to it :-)

Among the others, Vm is an excellent mail client which is the default mail
program in XEmacs. Others such as Mew and Wanderlust are good ones too. The
main documentation of Mew is in Japanese. Thats why I think Mew is not that
widespread. But I used it for a brief period of time and found it quite good.

For documentation, regarding Rmail & Gnus, nothing beats the GNU Emacs
manual. Type [Ctrl-h i] and glide your way through. For the others --

Visit http://www.emacswiki.org

This site is an excellent Emacs resource center. This site also has information
about various other tricks on mail handling. You can use BBDB as your address
book. There are pointers on that too.

If you are interested in Gnus, then http://www.gnus.org & http://my.gnus.org
are good ones.

Happy mailing...