Re: grep fgrep igrep not working

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: grep fgrep igrep not working
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:37:01 -0600

johnwolow@yahoo.com wrote:

I am using xemacs, one of the newer version  21.4.13 on windows 2000.

I got dired and cc mode working.    That tells me that I know how to
hook in the elisp files.

HOWEVER, I can NOT get igrep working.
Kevin Rodger's igrep.el does not seem to work....it says something
about compile after I do:
M-x igrep-find

If you have any recommendations on what to use to grep?   Or if you
could post a init.el and meantion your directory structure.

I recommend you mail a bug report directly to me, and include the
exact commands you typed and the precise error message and *igrep*
buffer contents.

On my linux box, grep came installed as grep, not igrep.

That is the bundled grep interface; mine is an add-on.

Also,  If you could post a sample search, for ex.,  the following
would find some string.

M-x grep RET
somestringsearched  RET
*.cc

Actually, `M-x grep' reads the regex and files as part of a single
COMMAND argument:

M-x grep RET
somestring SPC *.cc RET

`C-u M-x grep' provides the same basic functionality as `M-x igrep',
a default regex and file pattern.

--
Kevin Rodgers