setting cursor to box

From: Bernd Wolter
Subject: setting cursor to box
Date: 29 Jul 2003 15:37:06 +0200

Hi group,

I'm running

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2003-01-23 on DRACO

in a rootless X-Window under Winnt 4 SP 6.

Everything works fine but for the cursor shape - I cannot get emacs to
use a "filled box". I tried setting it in .Xdefaults (other settings
there take effect) and in .emacs (like this:

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(cursor-type . box))

but to no avail. I always have a hollow box cursor which is especially
irritating if you have several windows open a any given time. If I set
cursor-in-non-selected-windows to nil I don't see any cursor at all!

Is there someone out there with a similar setup who can help me?

TIA

Bernd