Re: MS Windows "Alt-Menu" support

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: MS Windows "Alt-Menu" support
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:47:02 GMT

Javier Oviedo wrote:
I was given the function below from someone on this newsgroup. I bind this
function to M-` (Alt-`) and then type the letter of the particular menu item
to bring that up....arrow keys also work. I hope this is helpful.

M-` F  ==> File
M-` E  ==> Edit

;;; Emulate ALT+
(defun jbr-w32-simulate-Alt-tap ()
  (interactive)
  (w32-send-sys-command 61696))
;;;

Nice code! I tried to bind it as follows, but could not get it to work:

(defun edit-menu ()
  (interactive)
  (w32-send-sys-command 61696)
  (insert "e")
)

(global-set-key [(meta e)] 'edit-menu)

I also tried (process-send-string nil "e") but nil is not the right process.
I'd also have to figure out how to send a cursor down.
It would also be nice to port this code to Linux.

>>Obviously Alt-F File, Alt-H Help, etc., conflict with
>>other Meta key sequences.

So I just make this a M-x customize option.

Note: XEmacs sometimes supports alt- menu key bindings