Re: scrolling

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: scrolling
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:55:57 GMT

>>>> schaecsn  writes:

    schaecsn> 1) Let's assume the cursor is somewhere in the
    schaecsn> middle of the screen. How can I scroll the screen by 1
    schaecsn> line up or down?

I use the following:

(defun pete-scroll-down-one ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-down 1))

(defun pete-scroll-up-one ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-up 1))

(global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") 'pete-scroll-down-one)
(global-set-key (kbd "<f11>") 'pete-scroll-up-one)

    schaecsn> 2) If I'm at the bottom of the screen and I press
    schaecsn> cursor-down then the screen scrolls by several
    schaecsn> lines. Google told me to set scroll-step to 1.

    schaecsn> (setq scroll-step 1)

    schaecsn> That works several times but then the cursor is suddenly
    schaecsn> in the middle of the screen. I don't like that.

This happens to me too... go to top of large buffer and just hit C-n.
Every once in a while the cursor pops to center of buffer and
continues down.  Hopefully someone here can tell us how to fix that.

(require 'scroll-in-place)
(setq scroll-step 1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)