Re: How to write a major mode?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: How to write a major mode?
Date: 21 Aug 2003 19:23:18 +0100

  Arjan> Hi all,

  Arjan> Are there any pointers to documentation that show me how to
  Arjan> program my own major mode? We created our own language with
  Arjan> antlr, and of course we want it font-locked and indented
  Arjan> automatically from within emacs.

  Arjan> 1) Which functions do I need to create?
  Arjan> 2) Are there any elisp docs out there that could help me with
  Arjan>    those
  Arjan> function?
  Arjan> 3) What is the best way to provide indenting and
  Arjan>    font-locking?

  Arjan> Is there a small, well documented major-mode that I can use
  Arjan> as a basis?

  Arjan> These are a lot of questions. I hope I get answers to them
  Arjan> all ;-)

There is a emacs lisp primer, and manual, which you can get from the
GNU sites. They are both fairly good. There is also, of course, of lot
of source, much of which is well documented which you can read.

In your case I think you want to take a look at "generic.el" and
"generic-x.el" which are designed for building small major modes, with
font locking, and indentation.

Phil