Re: regexp and strings you don't want

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: regexp and strings you don't want
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:13:56 -0600

Chaz wrote:

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> wrote in message
news:<A9u2b.399$mD.8@news.level3.com>...
For example, how can I search for a paragraph beginning with "The"
that does NOT include the word "top"?

This is something that regexps by themselves are pretty bad at.

That's too bad.  I wouldn't have thought it so complicated to have
some function like [^"string"], or to list strings as options, maybe
["dog""cat""turtle"].  These would be quite handy.

I don't think you understand the theory behind regular expressions, which are
based on regular languages and the finite state automata that recognize them.

But as Barry said, it's easy to write a function that does what you want.

--
Kevin Rodgers