problem with tex-start-options-string

From: Matthias Meulien
Subject: problem with tex-start-options-string
Date: 29 Aug 2003 18:26:43 +0200

Hi,

Recent (La)TeX versions provides a command line option `-src' to
insert source specials to perform inverse search: A mouse click in the
xdvi window can open an editor with the corresponding place in the
source file.

So I want the `tex-file' command to use the following syntax:

,----
| [matthias@clarinde ~/TeX]$ latex -src-specials -interaction=nonstop FILE
| This is TeXk, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
|  Source specials enabled.
| LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
| Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
| ngerman, basque, italian, portuges, russian, spanish, nohyphenation,
| loaded.
`----

I have set `tex-start-options-string' to the string "-src-specials
-interaction=nonstop". But it is passed to (from `tex-start-tex')
`shell-quote-argument' resulting in the following error:

,----
| [matthias@clarinde ~/TeX]$ latex -src-specials\ -interaction\=nonstopmode FILE
| latex: unrecognized option `-src-specials -interaction=nonstopmode'
| Try `latex --help' for more information.
`----

Note the two backslash. How should I do ? Today I use the following
(in appropriate hooks):

(setq tex-start-options-string nil)
(setq tex-run-command "tex -src-specials -interaction=nonstopmode")
(setq latex-run-command "latex -src-specials -interaction=nonstopmode")

Ugly isn't it ? Don't you think `tex-start-options-string' should be
a list ?

Thanks for your attention.
--
Matthias