Re: Newbie: Compiling Emacs 21.2 with MinGW

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: Newbie: Compiling Emacs 21.2 with MinGW
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 14:13:10 GMT

    Kai> Anyhow, I installed MinGW and MSYS.  I added c:\mingw\bin and
    Kai> c:\msys\1.0\bin to %PATH%.  Then I went to the emacs-21.2/nt
    Kai> directory and invoked:

    Kai>     configure --prefix=c:\programme\emacs-21.2

    Kai> It told me to run gmake.  I don't have gmake.  So I ran make
    Kai> instead, which gave an error.  Running make again gives the
    Kai> following output:

I've never been able to successfully compile Emacs with MinGW or
cygwin... even with 21.3.  With MSVC there are issues such as
having to change all the *.tit files under leim dir to be unix coding
system, but once that's done I didn't have any other issues.

I seem to recall that if you have both MinGW and cygwin installed on
the same box to make sure the MinGW/bin dir is before cygwin/bin in
the path.  Maybe do 'which make' to ensure you are calling the right
make.