Re: Common .emacs and other files

From: marcuirl
Subject: Re: Common .emacs and other files
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:17:44 +0200

"Harter, Douglas" <dharter@state.pa.us> writes:

> I have 2 usernames which I use on our system and do a lot of work in emacs
> on both usernames. I would like to have the files on both usernames which I
> use, like the .profile, .emacs, and some *-cust.lse files used in emacs
> else-mode, be the same on both usernames.
>
> What I would like to do is make one username the location for the files and
> just set up symbolic links to those files from the other username.
>
> I found that if I put the *-cust.lse files under the .emacs.d directory,
> they are still available when I use emacs, so I wanted to link the .emacs.d
> directory also.
>
> Has anyone tried something like this and will it cause any problems with
> emacs (or anything else in Unix)? I'm not going to do anything until I find
> out.

Sure, linking directories is just as valid as linking files. The only
thing you might notice is the linked username might be a little slower
to start!

Backup the .emacs.d before removing it and then create the link

ln -s /home/usernameA/.emacs.d/ .

                               ^^
This space and dot is intentional!

Make sure that the home directory of the username you are linking too
is readable AND executable. Same for the .emacs.d directory.

to achieve this:

login: usernameA

cd /home

chmod 755 usernameA (the one you want to link too!)

cd usernameA

chmod 755 .emacs.d

Now everyone on your system can see and enter these directories. They
may or may not be able to read and write to the files that depends on
the permissions you then set for the files!

HTH, marcu
--
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my
personal opinions and not those of any organisation with