strange auto-save behavior on Lynx

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: strange auto-save behavior on Lynx
Date: 08 Sep 2003 16:39:05 -0400

I'm using Emacs 21.2 on Lynx 4.0 (yes, lynx, not linux). It's doing
something strange with auto-save files, and I'd like some help in
tracking it down.

When I first start typing in a file, say foo/bar.txt, a symbolic link
foo/.#bar.txt -> stephe@roke.89 is created. Then, when I save the
file, that symlink is renamed to stephe@roke.89 -> stephe@roke.89 (it
is _not_ deleted).

I assume this is a bug in the Lynx implementation somewhere; I'm
trying to track it down. I can't find a description of the correct
behavior in the Emacs manual (it talks about auto-save files, but not
at this level). I tried tracing save-buffer with debug-on-entry; the
rename is happening in write-region, which is a C file and can't be
traced this way. Before I start trying to read the C, I thought I'd
ask here.

Why is Emacs creating a symlink that doesn't point anywhere real in
the first place?

Can anyone explain what's supposed to happen?

Can anyone point to some code I should read to help find the bug?

--
-- Stephe