Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:44:29 +0200

Mark Plaksin <happy@usg.edu> writes:

> Here's an example.  When it works it looks like this:
> ~/emacs/cvs:water$ ls c*
> config.bat     config.log      config.sub*  configure.in
> config.guess*  config.status*  configure*
>
> When it doesn't work it looks something like this:
> ~/emacs/cvs:water$ ls c*
> config.bat     config.log  config.sub*  configure.in
> config.guess*  config.status*  configure*
>
> In the second example config.sub doesn't start in the right column.

Strange that this would have anything to do with the font.  Could you
debug term-emulate-terminal (in lisp/term.el) to see which STR is
passed to it?  This is probably easiest in line mode (C-c C-j),
assuming the problematic behavior occurs in line mode as well.  To
debug a function, type C-u C-M-x when point is in the function
definition to instrument it.  Edebug will then be started whenever the
function is called.

>> So you run vi from within Emacs.  Interesting.  ;-)
>
> Ha!  My main use for term is to connect to remote machines and do system
> administration.  Maybe gnuserv or TRAMP could be used to edit files as
> root on remote machines but I haven't tried it.  I also haven't thought
> through whether it's a good idea or not.  Even if I had it all set up,
> there would always be new machines on which it was not yet set up :)
> Sysadmins *must* know some vi anyhow.  Don't get me wrong though I'd
> love to be doing *everything* in Emacs!

You could start Emacs on the remote machine.  Emacs within Emacs, oh
joy!  Since you are doing system administration, it's your job to
install The One True Editor on the machines in your care, right?  ;-)

By the way, TRAMP has been integrated into CVS Emacs.

  Lute.

--
(spook) => "military SWAT Verisign"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")