Re: [PCL-CVS] Interactive diff on a utf-8 encoded file

From: Jérôme Haguet
Subject: Re: [PCL-CVS] Interactive diff on a utf-8 encoded file
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:54:31 +0200

Just a last remark :

I had to modify

>                                     (t (find-operation-coding-system
>                                         'insert-file-contents
>                                         file)))))

<                                     (t (car (find-operation-coding-system
<                                              'insert-file-contents
<                                              file))))))

to make it work ...

Jérôme

"Kevin Rodgers" <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
3F5F9F54.4080401@yahoo.com">news:3F5F9F54.4080401@yahoo.com...

> Jérôme Haguet wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > It does not seems to work.
> > The following line
> > (cvs-coding-system buffer-file-coding-system)
> > return the coding-system of *cvs* buffer.
>

> Yes, I was afraid it might.
>

> > I replace it with
> > (cvs-coding-system (find-operation-coding-system 'insert-file-contents
> > file)))
> > and it give me so far a good result ...
>

> Great!
>
> > But I do not know if it is the correct way to do it.
>

> I think it might be more reliable to use buffer-file-coding-system if
> the file is being visited in a buffer (which it ought to be), and only
> fall back on find-operation-coding-system otherwise.  Also, that
> function may return "a coding system, a cons of coding systems, or a
> function symbol to call".
>
> So I went looking through the sources to see how it's result is used.
> Unfortunately, it's not very consistent, but there's a great example
> for us to follow (which supports both points above):
vc-coding-system-for-diff

> Here's my latest version, based on that:
>

> (defun cvs-retrieve-revision (fileinfo rev)
>   "Retrieve the given REVision of the file in FILEINFO into a new buffer."
>   (let* ((file (cvs-fileinfo->full-path fileinfo))
> (rev-file (concat file "." rev)))
>     (or (find-buffer-visiting rev-file)
>         (let* ((buffer (find-buffer-visiting file))
>                (coding-system (cond ((eq buffer (current-buffer))
>                                      buffer-file-coding-system)
>                                     (buffer (with-current-buffer buffer
>                                               buffer-file-coding-system))
>                                     (t (find-operation-coding-system
>                                         'insert-file-contents
>                                         file)))))
>           (with-current-buffer (create-file-buffer rev-file)
>             (message "Retrieving revision %s..." rev)
>             (let* ((coding-system-for-read coding-system)
>                    (res (call-process cvs-program nil t nil
>                                       "-q" "update" "-p" "-r" rev file)))
>               (when (and res (not (and (equal 0 res))))
>                 (error "Something went wrong retrieving revision %s: %s"
>                        rev res))
>               (set-buffer-modified-p nil)
>               (let ((buffer-file-name (expand-file-name file)))
>                 (after-find-file))
>               (toggle-read-only 1)
>               (message "Retrieving revision %s... Done" rev)
>               (current-buffer)))))))
>
> > Last detail, the coding-system is still not correctly displayed at the
> > lower-left corner of the window.
>
> Hmmm, I'll forward that to gnu.emacs.bug along with our
cvs-retrieve-revision.