Re: rendering a string as a new line?

From: Janusz S. Bień
Subject: Re: rendering a string as a new line?
Date: 19 Sep 2003 15:25:33 +0200

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003  Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

> The "Other Display Specs" node of the Emacs Lisp manual says:
>
> | `((margin nil) STRING)'
> | `STRING'
> |      A display specification of this form means to display STRING
> |      instead of the text that has the display specification, at the same
> |      position as that text.  This is a special case of marginal display
> |      (*note Display Margins::).
>
> Note the simple STRING alternative.

I've missed this because I've been confused by the statement

        This is a special case of marginal display

and judged the passage as irrelevant.

To say the truth, I still don't understand it. :-(

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003  Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> wrote:

[...]

> This is all very hypothetical. Now I am curious how those tags
> actually look like and what the file format in question is.

The file format is a proprietary format of a little known KOMBI
typesetting system (http://www.3n.com.pl/kombi6.htm) which happens to
be used for the dictionary of 16th century Polish. The system
historically is a WYSIWYG one, but moves gradually toward a markup
system. I am investigating whether useful information about the entry
contents and structures can be extracted from the dictionary files in
this format.

When asking a question, I made an oversimplification. Actually there
is no new line tag at all, the new line is just implied by some
SGML-like tags. For example, the tag used to change the content of the
running head implies the end of the current entry and the beginning of
a new one, so one or even several new lines should be displayed.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and help.

Regards

Janusz

--
                     ,