Re: Open All FIles in a Directory: How can I tell emacs to do this?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Open All FIles in a Directory: How can I tell emacs to do this?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:08:29 -0600

Dan Anderson wrote:

Perhaps I should be more specific.  If I ran:

$emacs ./*

It would open up all files in the directory, but this would include
backup files (i.e. beginning with a # and ending with a # or ~).

Is it possible to tell emacs to ignore those files?

No, you have to tell your shell not to pass them to emacs.  I don't
usually have autosave files lying around, so exclude backup files I
would run: emacs !(*~)

I was thinking of something like:

$emacs ./*.php
If for example I wanted to access all PHP scripts in a directory.  But
then if there were any HTML pages they wouldn't be displayed.

emacs *.php *.html

Plus this
involves exiting and restarting emacs.  I was hoping there would be a
more elegant solution.

The elegant solution is to open the directory in dired, then go from there
(see Dave Footitt's response): emacs .

--
Kevin Rodgers