Newbie: adding a library

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Newbie: adding a library
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:21:42 +0100

I run GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on a RedHat 8.0 machine.

I have recently read through "Sams Teach Yourself Emacs in 24 Hours".

My very first attempt at customising Emacs hasn't worked, though.

I want to be able to read compressed files, so I added the line

(require 'jka-compr)

to my .emacs file.  But Emacs seems to just ignore it (I looked at the
*Messages* buffer, which did not even mention it).

I tried also adding the line

(setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp" load-path))

before the "require" line, to tell Emacs where jka-compr.elc is, but
this did not help.

What am I doing wrong?

David