null characters inserted when characters in buffer deleted

From: David Wong
Subject: null characters inserted when characters in buffer deleted
Date: 2 Oct 2003 15:57:27 -0700

We had been using Emacs 20.5 for Windows and then decided to switch to
version  21.3.1. Now we often see null characters appended to the end
of a file when an existing file is opened, the buffer is modified by
deleting at least one character, and then the buffer is saved back to
a file. However, if the file is reopened, the null characters are
removed, and the buffer is saved back, then no new null characters are
inserted/appended. I should also note that we use ClearCase and the
problem tends to happen when a file in a remote view is
accessed/modified. If I do the same thing to another file stored
locally or on another machine (but not through ClearCase), then things
are fine.