Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?

From: Gareth Rees
Subject: Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?
Date: 6 Oct 2003 10:30:25 -0700

One way to avoid repetitive sequences of control keys is to use the many
editing features of Emacs.  Don't type lots of C-f, use prefix arguments
(C-9 C-9 C-f moves forward 99 characters) or use M-C-f to move forward
by sexp or M-} to move forward by paragraph.  Or C-s foo RET to go to
the next occurrence of foo.

Or make a macro and then C-u 152 C-x e to execute the macro 152 times.

For example, here are some ways to accomplish things without
repetitions:

Arjan Bos wrote:
> I'm using both. For example when I want to delete all characters of a
> certain column I just go C-d C-n which is quite fast.

Select the rectangle, then C-x r k.

> To transfer a line to a few lines above, I go C-a C-k C-k C-p C-p C-p C-y.

Go to the line after the one you want to move, then C-- C-3 C-x C-t.

> But when I want to identify a small region I'd like to do TAB
> Cursor-down TAB Cursor-down, etc.

Select the region, then M-C-\.

--
Gareth Rees