Emcas 21.1 - "M-x dirs" - error - Couldn't cd

From: Balaji Venkataraman
Subject: Emcas 21.1 - "M-x dirs" - error - Couldn't cd
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 06:47:56 GMT

Hi,

Whenever I start a shell ("M-x shell") within emacs and cd to a certain
directory and then do "M-x dirs", emacs complains saying "Couldn't cd". I've
been using emacs for a while and haven't seen this before. A search on
Google showed some old complaints (Emacs 19.xx), but I'm using 21.1. Could
this have anything to do with the actual shell I'm using? Or is it because
the directory I cd to is actually a softlink. In case it matters, I use the
tcsh with the variable symlinks=chase.

TIA,
Balaji.
--
Remember 2 + 2 = 5, for large values of 2