Re: emacs and texshop as LaTeX editors together on mac os x

From: Edward Dodge
Subject: Re: emacs and texshop as LaTeX editors together on mac os x
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 14:42:03 -0500

e.maier@phil.kun.nl (Emar Maier) writes:

> Hi list, I use a finked (X11 on Mac OS X) emacs 21 with auctex as my
> default LaTex editor. But I cannot properly read other people's and
> my own TeXshop created .tex files. In Texshop and textedit and M$
> Word the files look ok, linebreaks and all, but in emacs most of the
> text disappears under a "..." sign (looks like three dots, but if
> you delete one, a line of text suddenl;y appears, very weird, have
> not been able to find any posts about it though). If I copy and
> paste around through various editors, I can get a file filled with
> ^M's instead of linebreaks and ...'s (so I think an ugly solution
> might be replacing ^M's with linebreaks (but how do you input a
> linebreak in emacs?)
>
> Hope someone can help, because I don't want to be stuck with TeXshop
> since emacs+auctex is so much better.

I'm really late to this thread, but I figured it would do a "good
deed" by letting you know what the problem (and thus the solution) is.

THE ISSUE:

    Essentially, it boils down to the fact that DOS (and later
    Windows), Macintosh, and UNIX all use different EOL
    ("end-of-line") characters.  These are the invisible codes that
    say: "go to the next line."

HOW EMACS HANDLES THE ISSUE:

    You are seeing "..." because EMACS is telling you that there is
    more to the line, but that you aren't seeing it because EMACS is
    not seeing an /UNIX/ EOL character there.

ONE OF THE FIXES:

    To be able to edit the file and see it correctly in (English)
    EMACS use this command:

       M-x set-buffer-file-coding-system

    When it asks for the "coding system for saving file," type
    "undecided-unix" and hit enter.  Test and see if this causes
    problems with the other editors,  and if it does,  you should use
    the same command and type in "undecided-dos" or "undecided-mac"
    (depending on what editor is going to be used on it next) when
    you are finished using EMACS on the file(s).

THE "BEST" SOLUTION:

    You should be able to set up EMACS so that it automatically
    converts these "foreign" (Mac, DOS) EOL characters to something
    EMACS *uses in the buffer*,  but still *saves to disk* the file
    in whatever was the *original* encoding-format.

    I've seen this discussed on the board later,  so I'm sure the way
    to do it is in the EMACS Info system or on Google groups.

--
Edward Dodge

/GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5) of 2002-10-11 on G3/