shell environment variables

From: Harter, Douglas
Subject: shell environment variables
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:56:31 -0400

Ran into a minor problem. I have a Perl program in emacs. In the shell I create
a new environment variable (properly exported, of course). I do an
M-x perldb to run the program. I cannot get the value of that new environment
variable when the program runs.

Apparently the emacs environment that the perldb runs in does not update the
external environment variables. Can it be done manually with an emacs command
or automatically with a customization variable?