Re: simple... bug?

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: simple... bug?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:49:19 -0500

"Joe Corneli" <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.1649.1066115958.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
>       Am I making some _extremely_ subtle mistake?

Not all that subtle, but easy to do.  What surprises
me is that Joe's mistake did not cause an error
message.  When I try Joe's function, I get

   Signaling: (void-variable list-of-squares)

Ie., the function does not even execute successfully.
I suspect that Joe had also created an instance of
list-of-squares at top level and its value is the one
being returned.

Joe, I think you could have easily resolved your
symptom had you tried stepping through the code with
edebug.  edebug is your friend!  :)

Regards,
  David V.