Re: How to set alias to drectory in .emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How to set alias to drectory in .emacs?
Date: 16 Oct 2003 08:57:55 +1000

 F> Hello there: This probably is a very FAQ, but I am having trouble
 F> finding a solution, hence here to ask again.

 F> I'd like to know how to set an alias for a direcory in emacs, e.g.
 F> alias wd = "/Home/self/private/Work/Papers/InProgress/", so
 F> everytime I want to open a file in that directory but from a
 F> different location, I can do something along the line of C-x C-f
 F> type wd, then file name.

 F> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

 F> fc

Though not exactly what you want, I think the ffap pakage has the
facility to set a default search path. With this, if you try to open a
file which doesn't exist in the current directory, it will search for
the file in a list of directories you specify. You could make that
list the home or default place to look.

If thats not sufficient for what you want, the package may give you
some clues on how you could put together your own lisp code to do it.

Tim

--
Tim Cross