Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:32:04 -0500

Kai writes:

> Any other nifty tricks?

1.  On my iBook, my number row has these bindings

` ~  is  Alt_L
1 !  is  Hyper_L !
2 @  is  Super_L @
3 #  is  Control_L #
4 $  is  Meta_L $
5 %  is  Mode_switch %
6 ^  is  Escape ^
7 &  is  Mode_switch &
8 *  is  Meta_R *
9 (  is  Control_R (
0 )  is  Super_R )
- _  is  Hyper_R
=+   is  Alt_R

2.  I type numbers with my right hand, "mod 6"

F7   is  1 6
F8   is  2 7
F9   is  3 8
F10  is  4 9
F11  is  5 0

where the second tier is accessed using Mode_switch

3. Arrow keys and Delete/BackSpace are embedded (twice)
centered on middle finger of each hand as described
earlier, schematically

       <X U X>
        L D R

4. [] {} {} [] embedded in the bottom row

5. _ is under s

6. ^ is under l

7. + is under f

8. = is under y

9. - is under d and i

10. ` is under '

11. ~ is under /

12. Caps_Lock is a second Return key.

13. [{ is Prior, ]} is Next

14. Shift-Tab is Insert (parsed as Shift+Insert by X)

I use a similar layout (that doesn't do away with the number
row) on my Kinesis keyboard.  There the modifiers are placed
on the "extra" bottom row and on the thumb keys.

Why this is good: I only use my pinkies for Enter, Shift, Tab, and the
various keys that Dvorak intended them for.  Also, I do not move my
wrists when I am typing, neither in search of the modifier keys nor the
basic navigation/editing keys.  There are a few other neato features of
this layout that one discovers with use.  Suffice to say, between using
the kinesis keyboard as much as possible, using to dvorak, and using
this layout for the "peripheral" stuff, I have gotten rid of say 90% of
my wrist and finger pain.  Still working on that last 10%; I don't think
it can be gotten rid of with Xmodmap and Emacs, but 90% is pretty good.

Joe