Re: virtual space?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: virtual space?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:44:06 +0200

> From: "Michael Durland" <mdurland@ix.netcom.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:52:28 GMT
>
> I find it hard to believe that the most well known/respected best
> editor on the planet can't do it.

Perhaps because it's much easier to get used to Emacs's behavior wrt
cursor movement than to implement the feature you want.

Please write to emacs-devel@gnu.org.

> I really want to learn this great editor, but stuff like this is
> frustrating.  When I need to work on UNIX where I don't have my trusty TSE
> Pro, I was hoping I could customize emacs to do what I need.  But it just
> lacks key features.  e.g. virtual space and popup windows being the ones I
> can't live without.

Can you explain why do you need the popup windows so badly (and what
do you mean by that, exactly)?  You gave one example, but is that
really all there is to it?

> Emacs windows and frames do not cut it for popup
> windows.  On this note, I saw another post requesting popup windows as well,
> e.g. in order to implement something akin to the C++ class member
> autocompletion popups of many editors.  I read this can be somewhat faked
> with the new tooltip concept, but it is not a complete solution. *sigh*

Emacs has an optional feature to cause it pop up a new frame
(``window'' in your parlance) to display comlpetion results.  See the
documentation of the variable `special-display-buffer-names'.  Why
isn't this sufficient?