Re: [NEWBIE] exec path not expanding

From: Hugh Wolf
Subject: Re: [NEWBIE] exec path not expanding
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:38:12 GMT

On 2003-10-21, Robert Pollard <rpollard@apple.com> wrote:
>> 1. Define the variable in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.
>
> The PATH variable is defined in the environment.plist file.  The
> following entry is in the file:
><key>PATH</key>
><string>/$SYBASE/$SYBASE_OCS/bin:$SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE/bin:$PATH</string>
> Obviously, it is not understanding the environment variables here.

Remember that no shell is running in this situation.  As a result, $
has no special meaning here -- it's just a character like any other.
You can't use any form of shell processing in environment.plist.

> there a way that you are aware of to make OS X read the variables from
> the environment to help define a variable or add to a variable as in
> the above entry?

If you're launching apps outside any shell context I think the answer
is that you're out of luck.

Of course you can always create a shell script that sources your
.bashrc (or whatever) and then opens Emacs.app.  Script Menu is a
handy way to launch shell scripts from the gui.