Re: Cooperate with non-Emacs-users on CVS projects

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: Cooperate with non-Emacs-users on CVS projects
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:35:06 +0200

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
I'm lucky to be able to use Emacs even though my team-mate is using
NetBeans plus WinCVS.  He has gotten into the habit of invoking
checkin (however that works in WinCVS, I don't have the foggiest)
without typing anything at all, AFAICT.  (There seems to be some
NetBeans facility for using CVS, as well, but I don't know what he
does with that.)

Now, I like to do C-x 4 a to type useful data and then use C from
PCL-CVS.

Do people have suggestions on cooperating with others in this kind of
scenario?  In a carrot-and-stick (but more carrot than stick) kind of
fashion, I'd like to lure him in with some useful gimmick that he
might like so that he produces log entries of some kind or other.

Kai
Kai,

Your trouble might be NetBeans. If he has mounted the directory where he does his checkout in as a cvs directory, then every now and then Netbeans will do check-ins of files, even if you didn't ask it to. And ofcourse, that will lead to check-ins without a message.

(At least that's our experience) Now we use WinCVS combined with c-x v v. The directory is mounted in Netbeans as a normal directory.

fwiw, the version of WinCVS we use pops up an annoying screen where we can enter a log message.

HTH,
Arjan