Re: replacing a certain element in a list with another

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: replacing a certain element in a list with another
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:18:28 GMT

In article <m3u160cea8.fsf@tfkp07.physik.uni-erlangen.de>,
Roland Winkler  <Roland.Winkler@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>It might be helpful to add a comment to the docstring or info page
>for nreverse saying that its argument is modified such that
>afterwards it is a 1-element list containing the last element of the
>reversed list.

Why?  Then if someone came up with a way to do the reversing efficiently in
a different way, they wouldn't be able to change it, because the
documentation would lock them into the current behavior.

The documentation should only specify the parts of the behavior that users
can depend on, not incidental results of a particular implementation.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA