Re: Slightly OT: Where are keycodes defined for emacs -nw in X-Windows?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Where are keycodes defined for emacs -nw in X-Windows?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:56:47 GMT

AM> about the syntax of "resources" (whatever they are), but doesn't seem to
AM> say whether they are compiled in with the application, are loaded from
AM> some file, or what.

> From a file.
> The user specific file should  have the name ".Xresources" if I remember
> it correctly.

It's all documented in the X11 manpage, but you basically have to know the
answer in order to find it and understand it :-(

The resources are found by the application in a few files and on the
X server which keeps a "resource database".  The resource database of the
server can be queried and modified with the `xrdb' command.  Typically upon
login, the user's ~/.Xresources is passed to `xrdb' to load it into the
X server's database.

The application also looks at files such as
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm, and ~/.Xdefaults and then some,
depending on various envvars such as XENVIRONMENT, XFILESEARCHPATH,
XUSERFILESEARCHPATH and I'm probably forgetting some things.

        Stefan