Re: implementing a heartbeat for tramp

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: implementing a heartbeat for tramp
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:22:21 +0000

Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@gentoo.org> writes:

> My idea was to create a timer, which walked all emacs buffers looking
> for tramp buffers.  When it found one, it would (maybe)
> `tramp-send-command' to send a heart-beat (I guess some kind of null
> operation... touch /dev/null??? -- or maybe the command itself
> suffices)

I think "echo heart-beat" would do fine :-)
Or maybe "echo hello", that's used in Tramp for other purposes
already, I think.

But maybe someone can come up with a really KEWL command that goes
well with the name Tramp?

Are you going to contribute your code?  That would be just great.

Hm.  Hmmm...  Isn't there a keep-alive option for ssh?  Just a
thought.

Kai