Re: cut, copy, & paste with scroll mouse

From: Kevin Dziulko
Subject: Re: cut, copy, & paste with scroll mouse
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:34:02 -0500 (EST)

On 30 Oct 2003, Micah Cowan wrote:

> Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse with a scroll wheel in the middle.  I am
> > using GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on MS Windows 2000.
> >
> > I have (global-unset-key [mouse-2]) in my .emacs so that wheel does only
> > scrolling and nothing else. (Otherwise it would paste when clicked)
>
> Personally, I leave it set and just scroll the weel if I want to
> scroll, and click it if I want to paste.
>
> > I am not familiar with X windows methods and operations. So, how do I cut,
> > copy, and paste using the mouse?  Do I have to configure scroll mouse in a
> > certain way?  Does it matter that I have pc-selection-mode turned on?
>
> Well, the mouse-based copy/paste is standard for X, but the other
> techniques are pretty much unique to Emacs.
>
> You obviously should still be able to place a region of text in
> the kill-buffer simply by selecting it with the mouse. You can do
> this either by clicking-and-dragging mouse-1, or you can click
> with mouse-1, and then click at the end of the region to be
> copied with mouse-2. Without using the mouse, you can also use
> C-SPC to set the "mark" to the current "point" (where the text
> cursor is), and then once you have "point" where you want it, you
> can use C-w to "cut" (in Emacs it's "kill") the region, or if you
> only want to "copy" it, use M-w. Pasting can be done without the
> mouse with C-y, which inserts the last-killed thing at point.
> There are other very interesting things about how the kill-ring
> works: I'm pretty sure they're covered in the Emacs Tutorial
> (type "C-h t").
>
> HTH.

Ideally, I would like the left button to be mouse-1, the right button to
be mouse-3, simultanous left and right click to be mouse-2, and for the
scroll wheel to be left undefined.

So far the closest I've come is with (setq w32-num-mouse-buttons 2), but
that still has scroll wheel and simultanous left and right click both set
to mouse-2.

Any ideas?

Thanks!