Dramatic upgrade (was active URLs in Gnus)

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Dramatic upgrade (was active URLs in Gnus)
Date: 08 Nov 2003 14:22:06 -0600

Following up on Reiner's suggestion about upgrading to a newer version
of Emacs/Gnus, I hunted around to find a suitable new version.  Via
the fink package system I found 21.2.1 which is apparently about a
year old.

Erm, what a *dramatic* difference!  The visual interface has been
heavily revamped, almost looking embarrassingly like Word, actually,
with a icon bar across the top of the display.  The little ASCII gnu
has been replaced with an attractive full-color cave art pictograph.
Yikes!  Now I need to find a post or two with an URL in it to see if
the new version and updated .emacs file will pass the URL to Mozilla.

I feel like I've suddenly come out of the Bronze Age or something!
Long term users may not quite recall the sense of amazement that one
gets after changing from standard-issue GUI word processors and such
to something with the power that Emacs has.  Yikes!