Re: Cannot remap umlaut keys

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Cannot remap umlaut keys
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:17:25 GMT

>> (local-set-key [ö] "{")
> [ö] or [?ö]?

Oops, it should have been [?ö] indeed.

> I forgot to mention that I tried to use [?ö] before I posted my article.
> [?ö] (or [ö]) neither works under X *nor* on the console.

>     state 0x0, keycode 47 (keysym 0xf6, odiaeresis), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 1 bytes:  "ö"

> I'm pretty sure that [?\366] worked in earlier versions of Emacs.  I
> think that I started to use the above piece of code when Emacs 19 was
> current.

No doubt about that.  But I fixed this Emacs-19 bug ;-)

>> This might not always work, tho.  If it doesn't, then maybe your
>> locale is not set properly.

> The locale is set to de_DE.iso88591 which, according to "locale -a" is
> supported by the C library. I also tried to use de_DE.

Hmm... it should have worked.

> My .emacs is encoded in ASCII.  I encoded it in Latin-1 when I
> experimented with [?ö].  I also tried UTF-8.

Have you tried putting a -*- coding: latin-1 -*- on the first line
to make sure that it is read with the proper coding system ?

The problem is that there are many different ö characters in Emacs
and it's important that Emacs read it as (make-char 'latin-iso8859-1 118)
(i.e. 2294) since it is the event generated by Emacs for the odiaeresis
key in an iso-8859-1 locale.

        Stefan