Re: line length control setting

From: Adam Hardy
Subject: Re: line length control setting
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:20:34 +0100

On 11/06/2003 07:27 PM Kevin Rodgers wrote:
(defun my-dont-insert-after-fill-column (&rest x)
 (when (> (current-column)
           fill-column)
   (delete-char -1)
   (beep)))
(add-hook 'after-change-functions 'my-dont-insert-after-fill-column)

But I discovered this is also acting on the command buffer, so I
cannot add more than my fill column when doing simple file copies or
renames or text search & replaces.

Is there a way that I can adapt my function above to stop it applying
to the command buffer?

(when (and (not (eq major-mode 'shell-mode))
(> (current-column) fill-column))
>   ...)

emacs is applying the beeping and dels still in the mini-buffer when I issue dired commands on a dired listing, like copy or rename.

Obviously (eq major-mode 'shell-mode) does not cover dired? Is there a special mode in the mini-buffer window I can use to switch?

Thanks
Adam
--
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9