Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file
Date: 11 Nov 2003 18:35:36 +0100

> [ Incidentally: does anybody here have experience configuring a Linux
>   desktop machine to behave "a bit like a laptop" and turn off its drive
>   when not used, ...
>   This is not only to save power but to save my ears as well.  ]

check out the openbrick and similar small-form-factor systems.  i'm
happy to use the one here to work on emacs, guile, etc., even though
it's only 300MHz.  it is more silent than the ambiant noise and much
more silent than the dude twiddling the guitar waiting for the compile
to finish...

otherwise, if you have an IDE drive try "hdparam -S 1 /dev/hda".

thi