problems with newsticker 1.2

From: David
Subject: problems with newsticker 1.2
Date: 13 Nov 2003 17:46:26 -0600

I just installed newsticker-1.3 It looks like a great package. I am using
emacs 21.3 on Mac OS 10.2

Then I started the package (m-x newsticker-start) I got this error message
in the message buffer:

>>Thursday, 17:37: error while retrieving news from CNET News.com
>>Could not parse *wget-newsticker-The Register*: XML: Invalid character

The above RSS feeds are from the list provided by the package. (I used
customize to select several). Any idea how to fix this problem? Are
there variables I have not set or should I use a different RSS feed?