Re: Knoppix is not entirely free software

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Knoppix is not entirely free software
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:36:10 +0200

> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:30:36 -0500
> From: Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net>
> >
> > If he has changed his policies in the meantime, please tell me; that
> > would be good news.  But otherwise, please do not recommend the use of
> > Knoppix on GNU mailing lists.  Please recommend only entirely free
> > software.
>
> I'll likely regret this, but:
>
> $ grep netscape browse-url.el | wc
>      38     161    2011

The fact that Netscape is mentioned in browse-url.el doesn't mean
Emacs recommends it, just that it uses it when it's the only tool to
do a certain job.  When a free and a non-free program can be used to
do the same job, Emacs ought to use the free one, though.  If you can
spot such cases in browse-url, please report them as bugs.