Re: Knoppix is not entirely free software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Knoppix is not entirely free software
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:10:13 -0500

We sometimes design free software so it can work with widely-used
non-free software packages such as Netscape, Windows and MacOS.  Being
able to work with them is not the same as recommending them.  The
mention of Netscape, Windows and MacOs in Emacs doesn't serve to
spread the word of their existence very much, because users mostly
already know of those packages.

Eli wrote:

    The fact that Netscape is mentioned in browse-url.el doesn't mean
    Emacs recommends it, just that it uses it when it's the only tool to
    do a certain job.

In the GNU Project, we won't recommend a non-free program even if it is
the only way to do a job.  We say, "There is nothing we can recommend."