Re: Backspace-like behavior

From: Bob Nelson
Subject: Re: Backspace-like behavior
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:04:34 GMT

David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>>From: David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net>
>>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:01:32 +0100
>>>
>>>But both the Windows version of emacs that I am using, and the version
>>>on a Debian box I am connecting to, treats C-d and Del the same way. How
>>>do I do a normal Backspace, that deletes the character to the left of
>>>the cursor?
>>
>> You press Backspace.

> So why doesn't backspace work on the linux box, and also, why did the
> tutorial say that emacs doesn't use backspace?
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Emacs tutorial (C-h t) in version 21.3 includes these remarks about
the key with the label of ``Backspace'':

    You can delete the last character you typed by typing <Delback>.
    <Delback> is a key on the keyboard--the same one you normally use,
    outside Emacs, for deleting the last character you typed.  It is
    normally a large key a couple of lines up from the <Return> key, and
    it is usually labeled "Delete", "Del" or "Backspace".

    If the large key there is labeled "Backspace", then that's the one you
    use for <Delback>.  There may also be another key labeled "Delete"
    somewhere else, but that's not <Delback>.