Re: Removing outline mode menus

From: Sean Richards
Subject: Re: Removing outline mode menus
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:11:25 +1300

>> I have just started using outline mode for Python and Latex and once I
>> figured how to set it up it works great. However I would like outline
>> mode not to add menus to the menu bar as I only use some keybindings to
>> open and close folds. Is this possible ?
>
> You can do something like
>
> (define-key outline-mode-menu-bar-map [headings] nil)
> (define-key outline-mode-menu-bar-map [show] nil)
> (define-key outline-mode-menu-bar-map [hide] nil)
>
> But make sure this is run after outline.el is loaded.

Thanks Stefan that did the trick. I used

(eval-after-load "outline" ......

Is that the preferred method for running something after a mode has been
loaded?

> In Emacs-CVS, those three menus have been collapsed (in the
> outline-minor-mode only) into one called "Outline" since the use of
> three menus for a single minor mode seemed way out of line to me.

Good idea, seems an overkill to have 3 separate menus for a minor-mode

I use a slightly modified version of a function you posted a few years
ago to toggle the visibility of an outline entry. I use Viper mode and
have mapped that function to "SPC" (not in insert mode obviously) makes
using outline-mode very nice.  If anyone is interested in the function
you can find it here

http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=39dce10c%241%40tequila.cs.yale.edu

Cheers,  Sean
--
"Hver sin smak", sa vintapperen, han drakk mens de andre sloss.